Unintended Side Effect of Medical Marijuana: Dogs on Dope
KREX News Room
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.- It appears the popularity of medical marijuana has had an unintended side effect.
More and more dogs are getting "stoned" from eating their owners' products that are laced with marijuana and left out in the open.
In fact, the numbers of dogs sickened by marijuana has quadrupled since medical marijuana was legalized; the results can be deadly.
Signs that a dog has consumed marijuana include the following: staggering, acting lethargic, vomiting and being overly sensitive to sound and light.
Sometimes they can fall into a coma, but after treatment, most are back to normal within 24 hours.
Even though some dog owners might think it's funny to get their dogs stoned, Colorado veterinarians say there's nothing funny about dogs on dope.
Veterinarians say frequently, when these sick dogs come in, their owners are reluctant to admit medical marijuana might have been the cause.
They say it's important to tell your vet right away so they can more quickly treat your dog.
CBS 4's Brian Maass contributed to this report.