Propane Cylinder Explodes In Home
KREX News Room
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo.- A propane cylinder connected to a portable heater blew up around 4 p.m. Sunday, starting a fire in one Redlands home.
Grand Junction firefighters say a resident was in the room at the time, but everyone including the dog was able to get out safely.
"What caused the fire is there's a portable heater in the home and the heater was actually plugged into a propane cylinder, similar to what you'd run your barbecue grill with. There was a malfunction at some point between the hose and the heater, and she said she heard it pop and explode right there in her room. Again, that would be a very big reason why it's not advised to have a portable cylinder or a portable heater in your home running at all times," said Derek Trombetta, firefighter with the Grand Junction Fire Department.
Firefighters say it's a good idea to have a carbon monoxide monitor to detect any problems.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, containing it to only the back bedroom.
The residents were able to stay in their home Sunday night.