Gas Explosion Evacuations Being Lifted
KREX News Room
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo.- Close to 100 residents were initially forced out away from their homes Tuesday after a gas leak set two homes on fire and injured three people along 7th Street and Orchard Avenue.
At 8 a.m. Wednesday, folks met outside the Seventh-Day Adventist Church to find out when they'd be allowed back in their homes.
Residents were told some homeowners will be escorted back into their homes after Xcel crews check the house making sure it's safe, and lit the pilot lights.
One couple said they had to stay in a Motel Tuesday night, and are happy to get the 'OK' to go home.
"We had to walk down the street and head over to the school for about an hour or so, and then we came back and they told us we had to leave absolutely. So, we got in the car and went for a ride. We went for a ride and came back and they said we still couldn't go back, so then we went and got the motel," said Bob and Connie Kelsey who live off of 8th Street in between Walnut and Orchard Avenue.
It's taking Xcel crews about 10 minutes to go through each home.
Crews say if residents aren't home, they'll leave a note with a number attached which residents will have to call before entering their home.
Xcel energy says folks along 7th Street between Elm and Orchard Avenue are still not allowed in their home.
Officials hope to have residents back in their house within the next couple of hours.