Large Shed Fire Threatens Nearby Homes
KREX News Room
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. Just before 11 on Friday morning, Grand Junction Fire Department officials responded to reports of an explosion and fire at a structure on 28 1/4 Road. The shed was quickly engulfed in flames, threatening nearby homes. Crews fought the fire defensively and prevented that from happening.
Witnesses say the fire erupted in moments. The neighborhood watched as flames and thick smoke quickly filled the air.
John Lee, who lived a couple doors down from the blaze, said, "The flames looked at least 30 feet above that building back there."
Ten-year-old Cason Shoebridg also witnessed the incident, "I came outside and I looked to my right and I seen huge flames."
The young boy reacted quickly, "So I ran inside and and told my grandpa that I needed to call 911."
Duncan Brown, Battalion Chief for the Grand Junction Fire Department, said, "When firefighters first arrived they determined it was a defensive fire, meaning we do not send personnel into the fire."
Neighbors watched helplessly, hoping firefighters could protect their homes.
"It caught the tree and fire and it started getting really really tall," said Shoebridg.
"The flame was so big that we thought it would reach us," said his younger sister.
Dan Wiedric, who lives right next door, received multiple calls from friends about the fire and rushed home. "They could see that the one structure was fully engulfed, so their main concern was thankfully to save my property. They were able to do so, they did a wonderful job," he said.
The man who rents on the property with the shed, Bill Jones, also made it out okay.
"It was almost like a mobile home starting on fire, that's how fast it was burning," said Jones.
While he lost many valuables in the shed, his dog Quincy also made it out safely.
"We're doing okay, just a little shook up," Jones said.
While the shed didn't make it, neighbors agree, it could've turned out much worse.
"We're very blessed and thankful that our property is safe," said Wiedric.
"I thought I was a hero, for calling the ambulance and stuff," Shoebridg said.
"No injuries, the cats a little upset, but that's it!" Wiedric also said.
The cause of the fire was determined to be due to weed burning near the shed. The individual had been burning weeds and elm seeds near the shed and the fire appeared to have spread to the shed.
The fire was declared out at 2 p.m. The shed and all contents received significant damage and are considered a total loss.