Chlorine Gas Released At Clifton Water Facility
KREX News Room
CLIFTON, Colo. Water officials in Clifton are saying that the community is not in danger from the accidental release of gaseous chlorine on Friday, although one person was sent to the hospital.
Officials with the Clifton Water District say 19 pounds of the gas was released from a near-empty cylinder during a routine delivery. A spokesman says the situation was contained within the immediate water treatment facility and no public evacuation was necessary.
Officials say the release was atmospheric and the quality of customer drinking water was not compromised.
An employee who came into contact with the chlorine was taken to a medical facility as a precaution; officials say the employee has since been released.
During the incident, the Clifton Fire Department and the City of Grand Junction Hazmat Response Team were contacted and briefed of the situation. Officials say once the release was determined to be minor and contained at the facilities, the opportunity was taken to continue as a training exercise.
The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has been contacted as well as the National Spill Response. Clifton Water officials say details of the event are currently being investigated to determine if procedural or equipment functions need to be evaluated and revised.
A spokesman says use of chlorine gas is a common water treatment plant process that is important for the disinfection of potable water.