Gas Smell Causes Tope Elementary School Students to Evacuate
KREX News Room
GRAND JUNCTION Students from Tope Elementary School were evacuated this morning after some reported the smell of gas near the school playground.
The Grand Junction Fire Department, Police Department and Xcel Energy officials arrived on the scene around 9 A.M. this morning.
Gas levels were measured as well above normal, but below "ignition levels."
After a discussion by school and city officials, it was decided that students would evacuate the building, and be bussed to West Middle School.
Once all students were accounted for at West Middle School, parents were allowed to pick up their children.
Walnut Street, from 7th Street to 9th Street, was closed briefly after the evacuation as city officials vacuumed the gas out.
Around 10 A.M., gas levels returned back to normal, and roads were opened again.
Three days ago, a gas leak at the intersection of 7th and Orchard led to a house explosion about a block away from the school.
Some parents complained about the lack of communication from the school about the evacuation process on Tuesday, but said communication was much more prompt and efficient today.